Thursday, November 4, 2010

First Day in VA

My Aunt Mercy comforting a baby
April 30, 1730
            Yesterday was the day I arrived, so I didn't get a chance to do much. So today was my first real experience in Virginia.I got settled in, talked to my aunt Mercy for a while, and found out as much as I could about this place. I had so many questions! One thing I learned from her was that woman have a lot more power and security over here. Back home, women usually gave up their property rights when they married. However, the men in New England have a way longer lifespan than the men over here. So that means that women in the South become widows more often and quicker than women in New England. That led to married women over here being allowed to to keep separate titles to their property and gave widows the right to inherit their husband's estates. I'm really enjoying my stay so far, I'm learning so many new things!

No comments:

Post a Comment